onsdag 7 januari 2009

The debacle in Montevideo...looks is decieving .man...

We (me and first lady) were in the Urugayan capital, Montevideo yesterday and enjoying the view around the sea when a man came and started talking with me. He said that his family was from Italy but been living in Montevideo for a long time.

He talked about a football match between Urugay and Bolivia, a world cup qualification match, which was going to be played later in the afternoon. We felt that it was a lifetime experience which should not be missed despite the fact that we had a bus and a boat to take back to Buenos Aires the same day.

He wanted to help us if we wanted to change our departure time. He pciked up his mobilephone and "talked" with somebody who confirmed to him that the time could be changed. Something felt a bit fishy though but he gave me a very good impression and felt that he was an honest man who was not looking for something special.

I only thought about the whole thing for a short while as I was taken by the exicitment and exultation of the fact that we were going to be able to see a football match in Urugay. We could not suspect the man for being a cheater/thief who makes whose living by creating this kind of fictions.

He asked for 500 Urugayan pesos which is roughly around 30 dollars for the match tickets and it did not feel like too much money for this sort of a game. We gave him the money and he asked us to wait for him outside the "house of his friend" who had the tickets. We waited there for 20 minutes or so as he had said that he was going to return with the tickets but he never came back.

There was of course too much of naivity from my side. I can not though understand that I trusted him entirely well-knowing that there is not going to be any qualification match until march. I can not forgive myself for this passive blunder of all time. I am not more than a humanbeing even as a president.....I shall continue counting on humanity even if more cautious measures are to be applied.

I have met a lot of good people in all my trips and it is seldom that this kind of things happen to me. We are in Buenos Aires now and the first lady is flying back to Sweden tomorrow after just a week in here. We have had a great time.The debacle in Montevideo is a lesson and looks is decieving , man!Gladiators......

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

La vida s un baile con pasos difíciles.. a veces uno baila con mala gente, aunque muchas veces el baile incluye a personas muy queridas...como los de 15 años con barba..
Te extraño, Miguelito! Demasiado! Me faltas!
/Selamawit

Ibrahim sa...

Stay strong brother! /Ibou

Ato Sebnat sa...

Dont give yourself a to hard time about it, I recognize the scenario very much, A very polite and sympathetic man coming and telling a quite believing story and making you believe him throught that.

This way of cheating was teh fulltime proffesion of many people in Marrakech ( As you remember ).
Often this people are so professional in theyre way of cheating, that they could fool anybody with the most unbeliaveable story.
As for myself I learned early on when I lived in Marrakech to just dimiss anything coming from a stranger as bullshit.Its a piteia that one should have to think like that but thats probably the best way in this kind of areas, where cheating is a widespread and used method.

Just give him a presidential pardon, And be prepared with the presidential defense next time Big Brother!!

Anonym sa...

Muchosimas gracias......amigos!