lördag 14 mars 2009

Nyabinghi, candomble' and capoeira..

I am really having a great time here in Salvador da Bahia. The people that I have met recently are full of energy and commitmment to fight for equal rights and opportunities to all the sons and daughters of Adam and Eva.

The zion train is moving and no body can stop it. I visited a Brazilian family yesterday evening, who are friends to a friend of mine. It was an amazing family of 6 who make their living through Reggae music that they produce and sale.

One of their sons is called Mekonnen Tafari in a direct reference to their idol , the late Ethiopian emperror Ras Tafari Mekonnen, i.e , Haile selassie the first. They had the Ethiopian alphabets well-preserved in a dose as well and the father told me of his dream to master Amharic.

I felt that I had come to the right place and should open an Eritrean restaurant and Amharic school here in the future. I have met some people who would like to strengthen their African roots. Learning Amharic and African history might be one way of getting there.

I believe that Afro-centrism is necessary in order to have a holistic perspective on things and to later be able to transcende your own boundaries. This task is almost impossible without first knowing yourself.

I am gonna hold a lecture about Africa for Bahian students at the university in a week time. A lot of doors are being opened for me in here and I would be more than happy to settle in Bahia once I have sorted out my life in Sweden.


I currently live in a big house on my own in an old part of Salvador as the owner is in Sao Paulo. It is this kind of gesture and generosity of Bahians that make feel humble and want to stay here for a longer time.

Nothing is impossible in an environment of fraternity and solidarity. The Nyabinghi, Candomble' and capoeira movements are very strong in Bahia and it is these working institutions that are going to be our inspirations for our demands for equality and justice across Brazil.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

:)'Doors will open to you if what you're looking for is exactly for you', so it seems you're in 'the place'
I'd like to hear your lecture over there what an experience you'll have over there.... mmm wondering how many people will be there looking at you, how glad they will feel hearing the message I'm sure will make them change thinking.... (please consider to blog it, probably it could help others - me- in the process of knowing oneself).