fredag 19 oktober 2012

Why I still want Barack Hussien Obama to be reelected

I remember vividly when Obama was elected president roughly four years ago in 2008. I was in the countryside of southern Peru with Peruvian journalists covering a story about the socio-economic development in the region. Deep in the jungle where people had never seen a man of my origin as odd it may sound. Some folks even seriously asked me if we Africans practice cannibalism. I was not amused by that sort of “joke” or so but my focus was on the USA election as Obama had electrified us all across the world from a remote Peruvian village to Adi Guadad in Eritrea.


There was no access to television where I was and could not therefore follow the result of the election in that night even if I had walked miles around the area looking for one. I woke up in the woe hours of the morning and asked people who had a radio and listened to the result. A young boy informed me of Obama´s victory and I was thrilled and exulted. I felt that the dawn has eventually come to black folks at last. My friends started calling me Obama after that. I also remember vehemently his inauguration as I was in a small and rundown kitchen with a Colombian friend in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I know Obama has not lived up to our expectations and aspirations under any circumstances. He has deported more immigrants than all other previous presidents combined. He has killed a lot of civilians using the drones more than ever before. He has expanded the war in Afghanistan, Guantanamo has not been closed yet, and poverty among the poor in the USA has not diminished at all. 46 million Americans live on handouts and food stamps.

He has also accused Eritrea of human trafficking. He has done everything possible to distance himself from the African continent and black folks. He has participated in the persecution and execution of black people in Libya. He is guilty of killing Muhammar Al Khadaffi too. The only time he came to the continent was when he passed by Ghana and stayed there for a few hours. He is indeed Uncle Tom and a house Negro embodied unlike Malcolm X who was a field Negro and a real human rights advocate who paid a heavy price. Some people even ask if Obama is black enough which is a bit irrelevant and disgusting to make a point of as long as he claims to be a Blackman.

I have every reason to hate him and be indifferent about his reelection endeavors but I have to admit that I have failed in that effort. I call Obama though Mr. White Burton for his politics as he is pursuing the policies of Bush, Regan and Clinton and thereby the name Burton. Something in the history of black people and the existing racism in all countries of the planet in general and in the USA in particular, makes me still sympathize with Obama. A black man in the white house, which is reserved for white folks, is still a good news. Mitt Romney is the last man who deserves to beat Obama. I would not be devastated if Obama would lose against all odds. Victory to the masses!

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Juan Medrano desde Colombia, poco mas de 1 año otra vez. Te cuento que aquí sale bastante gente buscando un dinero que se les perdió,al parecer parecen una nueva forma de desplazados como llaman por estos lados.

Kwame Touré sa...

Gracias por su comentarios, el signor!