måndag 1 juni 2009

Black like the depths of my Africa.....

The collected poems of Langstone Hughes are still of great significance.....



Negro


I am a Negro:
Black as the night is black,
Black like the depths of my Africa.



I've been a slave:
Caesar told me to keep his door-steps clean.
I brushed the boots of Washington.



I've been a worker:
Under my hand the pyramids arose.
I made mortar for the Woolworth Building.



I've been a singer:
All the way from Africa to Georgia
I carried my sorrow songs.
I made ragtime.

I've been a victim:
The Belgians cut off my hands in the Congo.
They lynch me still in Mississippi.



I am a Negro:
Black as the night is black,
Black like the depths of Africa.

2 kommentarer:

Ras Mekonnen sa...

That is good, signor Juan! It is about time to move on.....in life. Medrano is a destructive environment.Where are you moving to....?

Selamawit sa...

http://boscarol.com/nina/html/where/strangefruit.html

Probably the most harrowing lyrics ever written.. and shall never be forgotten..