torsdag 16 oktober 2008

Inka is Mandinka - from Timbouktu to Cusco!

I am back in Cusco now. I just talked with my girlfriend Selamawit in Malmö via Internet skype for two hours and feel good about it. Taray was a nice experience. The people celebrated “Vergen Del Rosario” in that small village with a lot of music and dancing for four days and nights!

Their hospitality was amazing. I also visited the Inca ruins in Pisac and Ollantaytambo and met five Swedish students on my way to Taray. I have also been at the hot springs in Lares where there is a hot water bath from the mountains. We had a good bath there for roughly 15 Swedish crowns . There are many students from western Europe at my Spanish school specially from Holland and Switzerland.

There is an immense poverty in Peru. The life standard ,for most of Peruvians, is quite lower than I anticipated. The people are sick and tired of the government and had a one day strike against it lastweek. The government has resigned now and a new cabinet is being formed.

I like Peru so far and am gonna stay here in Cusco for another two weeks. Cusco used to be the capital city at the height of the Inca civilisation. There are a lot of buildings which are reminiscent of that great time here in Cusco. The Inka connection with the Mandinka can only be realized when you observe things that unite the two continents. Africa and Latin america have a lot in common. I am here to bridge the gap between the shared agonies,memories, history, culture and subjugation. We have to build new dams and work on our mutual causes. I hope to eventually launch a newspapper in this endeavour in the near future. It is gonna be called "Ras Humania" in english and "La Humanista" in Spanish. God willing!

On the 26 th of October, I shall be heading for Arequipa where I shall have my volunteer work at a newspaper called “El Buho”. It is gonna be an exciting adventure until the end of November.

I am planning to go to Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuella,Cuba and Jamaica after Peru but I am open to other options as well depending on what happens on the road and my economy which is pretty stable right now despite the economic turmoil across the globe.

Life is one big road which has got to be conquered. I am hopefully going to the mysteriously disappeared town of Machu Pichu this weekend.

I am listening to Leo Sayer´s song …”I love you more than I can say” and watching a documentary about The Venezuelan Revolution “ No Volveran!”on my laptop at the same time. How about Otis Redding´s “A change is gonna come”………Ali Farka Toure´s “cousins” lying in my bed and dreaming about a better world in the pleasant evening of Cusco.

BARRACK OBAMA shall rule …

2 kommentarer:

Roxana Ortiz sa...

En hälsning från de varmare bredgraderna, Nicaland.

Roligt att höra hur det får via din blogg.

Just one question... will there be any difference in the international field if Obama or Mr Mac win the next coming eleccions?

Kramar

Anonym sa...

Selamat Roxana!

I personally do not expect any big difference in international politics if Maccain or Obama wins but Hussein as his middle name is, shall have a better opportunity to bring about a more concillatory approach in some issues like the environment.

USA...will continue to be what it has always been...an arrogant world power but with their diminishing economy....they might listen more to others....I anticipate though business as usuall no matter who is the guest in the "white house".....a hug!