fredag 29 mars 2013

"My book, my friend."

The 12th Asmara bookfare is taking place under the theme:”My book, my friend” at expo. It started a week ago and is going to be closed on Sunday. I have seen a lot of people from all walks of life coming to expo and buying books.


The reading culture here in Eritrea is still on its initial stage but this annual event of focusing on books is already having a positive impact on that front. School children have had opportunities to talk with writers who could inspire and give them some ideas about how to develop and nurture writing talents.

I bought four books: refuge boy by Benjamin Zephaniah, Tigringa-Tigringa dictionary by Tekie Tesfai, selected poems by Robert Creeley and an interview pamphlet with the Eritrean president from the 6th of august 1991, just a couple of months after Eritrean liberation.

I have already read Zephaniah´s book about a teenage boy called Alem whose parents are both from Eritrea and Ethiopia. The book was written amidst the latest war between the two countries 1998-2000 and describes the fate of a family in a devastating war.

Deportations, asylum seeking and xenophobia are some of the subjects that are dealt with in this book by the fascinating and thought provoking poet. He has really managed in capturing the imaginations of all readers by portraying and personifying the vulnerability of nations through the teenage boy Alem.

1 kommentar:

Nadwrażliwiec sa...

I love reading books. I can't imagine day without it :) I wish You all the best for Easter.