onsdag 12 november 2008

Haile Selassie is not a Messiah!

"The crowning of the King/Emperor in Ethiopia, Africa in 1930 was considered by many bible-reading lay/regular black folk to be the fullfillment of biblical prophecy."

In 1948 Emperor Haile Selassie I donated 500 acres (2.0 km2) of his private land to allow Black Ethiopian World Federation officers, members and other settlers from Jamaica including other parts of the Caribbean to return to their ancestral homeland in Africa.

Shashamane or Shashemene is a town in central Ethiopia. It is located about 150 miles (240 km) from the capital Addisababa. Many Jamaicans settled down in Shashamene. Around 200 individuals still live in this small and barren land . It is other than paradise on earth.

H.I.M.(his imperial majesty) visited Jamaica in 1966 and was surprised, (refused to leave the airplane at first because of the surrounding crowd),somewhat shocked and rather vocal about NOT being seen as divine or Divinity.

H.I.M. was neither a GOD nor a good leader. Thousands of Ethiopians died from famine and starvation while he was living in luxury in his palace and feeding his dogs and lions with the best meat which the country could provide. He was a feudal despot whose words were the laws of Ethiopia. He is regarded as a messiah, jesus and God by Rastafarians is a mystery for me.

H.I.M. loved the bible and believed it to be flawless. He belonged to the Ethiopic Coptic church (that Bob Marley was baptized into 3 weeks before his death).

Our rastafarian brothers have their own tangible reasons to worship H.I.M. but my version of Rastafarianism advocates equal rights and opportunities to all black folks across the world wherever they might be. I do not believe either that all blacks should return back to Africa. Why should we do that? Marcus Garvey´s blackstarliner was the product of xenophobia and rascism against blacks in the USA since time immomorial.

I love meat unlike other vegetarian Rastafarians. I have never smoked Ganjah even if many people,specially young white boys and girls, still come to me and ask if I have something for them because of my hair and colour. I do not like it.

Inga kommentarer: