måndag 24 november 2008

Mi exilio ha terminado...yo soy Arequipeño....???

I have been here in Peru for almost two months now and love the country. I am currently having some thoughts about my next destination............Bolivia , Chile or both before I end up in Argentina around X-mas......what a life!!! I am expecting a high level delegation from Sweden to arrive in Buenos Aires on christmas day.

I have been studying and working as a voluntary for the last two months. My life as a backpacker has not therefore started as yet. Having lived with two different Peruvian families, my personal understanding of this society has enhanced enormously. I have also got a holistic perspective on the situation in here.

P.S. Have you ever thought why things are called as they do........why you have been given the name that you have, your country, city...e.t.c. ...?

Liberia comes from the word Liberty and the capital Monrovia got its name from the then president of the USA who forced thousands of "free slaves" to return "home." The capital of sierra Leone freetown has also the same historical background as a new "home" for "free slaves." Ethiopia means black or burned face.......Addis Ababa......meaning new flower.....Eritrea meaning .....Red Sea....

Having been born and lived in exile and exposed to many cultures for years....the question of where "home" is puzzling me as never before. This city Arequipa makes me feel comfortable thanks to all the wondeful people that I have met here but it would be more than exaggerating if I was gonna call this place my home.

There is nothing called home for me ....one can have different homes....HUMANIA is probably the closest to home I could get. Your are always self-exiled in different circumstances.....the search itself is the most interesting and fascinating part of being a homosapien.

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Hej den svenska invasionen kommer till Arequipa imorgon fredag kl 05! En natt i staden och en ennattstrekking i Colca Canyon. Hör av dig via mail om du inte jobbar arslet av dig. Kanske ses vi pà gatan, ojála!
/ Linnea

Anonym sa...

Hoppas sista helgen med gänget (för den här gången) blir nice och kommer gunga gott. It's Harvest Time med D. Carlos och Toots & The Maytals..
Jag har precis chattat med Manuela i Ecuador. Vi ska diskutera vårt projekt via telefon på söndag. Kan bli mycket intressant..

Si se puede soñar, se puede hacer.

Kram. Och en till.

Anonym sa...

Yep, I've asked my self what does my name mean? and after a long reserarh hehe the closest meaning for Milena is = The person who makes people laugh (a clown), you know I'd rather "the person who makes others be happy" :) I can explain you why do we say
Home = Hogar (spanish version)It comes from latin 'focus' which also means fire (so the noun would be fogar and in Spanish is very common just to change one letter so HOGAR) well long time ago in the occidental culture they worship fire and at every house there would be a bonfire which was a sacred presence and probably was in the center or in the hall (let's call it thht way) so probably it'd be a sign pureness, life, protection. So because of tradition the family gather together around it. Related to that family's fire was the goddess Estía among Greeks. In fact, in Greece, to call the family, they used the word epiestía, which means 'around home' :) this could help you to know where's home :)!

Anonym sa...

I hear u.......you have a point there.Your home is where your heart is.........what is heart if it always hurts.........the things that make you feel pain, empathy and understanding matter more than any territorial or biological home.

My identity is always in flux.......culturally...intellectually........not stationary.my nose and mouth are the two most important organs of sensuality and emotion because what I smell and eat is deeply rooted in my personality........food is good! un abrazo fuerte!